Saturday, December 13, 2008

Is This Snowman A Menace ??

Oreo was reading a column in our local paper, she really can't read, but she listens when I read it to her. We looked over the whole article and the common thought we had was... What the hell is hate mail, and who gets to decide. The piece whined on about some
" hate mail", always unidentified, with no return address. Number one problem, you just toss that stuff.....why are these folks even wasting time, better spent grooming matted animals, reading this? Oreo has a theory. We looked and read over all the stuff quoted as hate mail, my thought was how sad.
One I doubt it ever occurred, just didn't ring true, but there did used to be some flake who posted on Mark's blog about the things "quoted" in the newspaper column. we think it was a pubicity stunt. There is also a commenter on another blog that does the same thing, feed the children first is their mantra, and they get quite mean. What people don't understand is, we live in a free society. that translates to people can make the choices that match their belief system. Here at Oreo's, we believe in doing both......Being kind and generous is not an either / or decision. The problem with the fanatics is simple really. They can't walk and chew gum at the same time. If I have $5.00.. I can put $2.50 in the Sally's bucket and the rest in the animal shelter of my choice. One is not taking away from the other because different people contribulte to different causes, we won't change that.
Mark being the devotee that he is, reposted it on his blog.. really do see it, it is the most inane thing I have read so far from her. Why is it called animal files ? A more accurate title would be fund raising files.
The same free society that lets loonie tunes go all over the country , creating havoc, telling lies, making false promises; and causing animals to suffer; lets others dislike them for it. I think the No Kill movement as presented by this man has turned people against helping animals. He has given shelters a bad name, and that sickens me. The shelters have come so far against overwhelming odds.
Our old NHS was such a great place, the animals were cared for, maybe the building wasn't new, but the care was genuine. These lackeys are phony and cold hearted. It is all about money and numbers. So for them to trot out some bogus story about hate mail in an attempt to get publicity is just one more pimple on their nose. We would like to see the letters, see the postmark, check the mailing code. I guess that was just the final credibily blowthrough for us. we thought perhaps Christmas would bring out some small tidbit of humanity in them, but we were wrong.
I have never met anyone who felt helping animals hurt children, and I am pretty active on all fronts. The type of mind that pushes for a new VA hospital is not the mentality that does anonymous mail, nobody from the Childrens Cabinet is sending them letters, so shame on the rgj for publishing yet another round of BS just to get the name in print. Maybe they just want to divert attention from conditions at the shelter. Still got 750 cats ? The time they could have reached out to the community to help the animals in their care, she wasted whinning. What a bunch of losers............
Pictured is Burley Dog, an ambassador for Animal Control and all the caring staff, who give so much. Every day, with all homeless animals, especially the ones who haven't got a prayer, they show kindness.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sentiments exactly. I am inspired to write a post. I am not in an area to read your paper and I don't know the blog you mention.
I am assuming from past experience they are doing the publicity at any cost measure. Always a favorite of no kill, just keep your name in front of the public and your business hidden. I also concur that many people are now turning agains animal welfare because of the in your face attitude of the animal rightist. Animal welfare is putting the welfare of the animal at the front of the project. Dianne Jessup has some very good new stuff on her site, and she is clear in her view that failure to let go of the bad seed is hurting her breed terribly. she is sometimes difficul to read, like Oreo, she makes a painful point.
Great picture and the snowman looks fearsome, you can see the poor hound quivering. Merry Christmas from Pixie to all in case we get to busy.

Anonymous said...

For those who didn't read the column/letter Bonney had published, she said that the shelter had been getting "a series of intriguing letters" from different people that she believes is, in fact, the same person. So, she is making a big deal from the mail of one person.

Supposedly the writer is making comments expressing their displeasure at the shelter making the holidays about dogs and cats rather than children and the waste of resources to that end.

Bonney then goes into a long diatribe about the intelligence level of animals and how strong everyone's compassion will be be if they donate more.

It was plea for donations justifying it by claiming that animals are very itelligent.

My dogs lick their butts and drink from the toilet if given the chance. My kids seemed to know somehow that wasn't a smart thing to do. Hmmmm...

Happy Camper said...

Thanks to all who are sending posts.

I am having to try this from a remote computer.and I am losing comments, but I should get mine back by Friday. Thanks from Oreo.long letter to come.

Anonymous said...

Ex pet cop hit the nail on the head, it was all about money and little else. The feeling among us close to the center is, the target was Ardena.
One last try to keep her out of there.
I haven't met her, but those who know her say she is a true animlal lover and they don't want her witnessing the conditions. I do know from reading various blogs that she has stood up for the shelter dogs. Merry Christmas, and I hope seeing Happy Camper posting agin means we are going again.

Anonymous said...

BTW, did you know that according to animal rights crazies, you are committing animal cruelty by having your dog pull a wagon? You are "exploiting" that poor big dog!!

I bet the people over at the NHS couldn't give a damn whether you

I love that photo. The Snow Man cracks me up.

Happy Camper said...

The Animal files column in the RGJ is by Diane this week and her sad song is the big guys HSUS and ASPCA don't contribute to the little guy. ( think nhs )She also references the costs of getting the strays adopted after the 5 day hold, implying they really do take the strays on a regular basis......... the only way a stray gets adopted from WCRAS is if some person puts their name on it. I am not saying NHS never pulls a dog, I'm saying they need to be motivated. A one liner about Pet networks dog didn't get adopted and then back to the bar... What a joke.

Compassion First said...

Merry Christmas, cool snowman, is that Happy Camper under the Old Black Hat"
What I noticed in the latest salvo was the reference to several thousand volunteers. there is no way they are getting the volunteer hours, and those are what count. I understand they don't even have the volunteers sign in on time sheets, so I don't know how they prove the the stats thrown out for the gullible public to swallow. There are also no meetings being announced for the public anymore. How would you find out when or if they are still being held.
If Lynn who posts about Pet Network could give us an update about how they are doing, that would be good information. The newpaper column has become another marketing tool for NHS and the others be damned. I am glad my better half is out of volunteering at the level she was. We continue to try and follow the dogs at the pound and tell people about them. Going out to see them for ourselves even though you can't bond during a stray period helps assess how well adjusted they are. All the friendly guys in the lifeboats first..
On a more serious note, this will be our first Christmas without Lucy, and Riley is lonesome. I think after the holidays we will find a dog on the county side and special order it. It will not have been warehoused long enough to be to emotionally unbalanced. I am sure it will have some baggage, it is is the pound for Christ's sake, but nothing like 6 month's down the road. Riley wants a hound mix girlfriend who likes to play. Nice to have you back Happy Camper, computers never go down at a slow time.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone younger than George Bush remember the " shaggy haired stranger' ? There was always some villan, slightly out of range for a good view. He was the one who commited the crime.
This group always seems to see a crook that nobody else can see, but the victim. Thank God Pixie is re homed. I spoke with Greta and they are a good match, Pixie has forgotten us completely, when Greta brought her up last week, she hardly acknowledged me, so we took her for a visit with Mom. She seemed comfortable and curled up on Mom's lap, but when Greta stood up to leave; Pixie was right at her side. I guess dogs have a better sense of getting on with their lives than we do. I don't see a restraining order post, so is that crap over ?

Happy Camper said...

I think so Steve.......I am waiting til the first of the year to check with other courts on the advice of my lawyer. There is no respect for or from this bunch. By law I would be notified, but then doing things by the book has not been the forte of the bod or bb. I will talk with the commission after the New Years and see where we stand. We had a white Christmas, so the snowman lives on !!

Cole David said...

All non profits are hurting. Stabbing each other in the back is not going to help and will turn off Joe Public even quicker.
I think Greta said it better than anyone else, keep your name in front and the details hidden.
It doesn't look like cruelty to me, but the pet cop could be right about the crazies. Put that dog on the couch and bring him a pizza, make it vegan.
I think Oreo is a menace to the people who do institutionalized hoarding. And they should be stopped. I think Washoe is in danger of a major disase outbreak and when it gets through the changes will come. I am sorry Oreo but I don't think even you can stop that many animals from getting sick. There are too many animals for the amount of space and airborne disease will roar through there like Mt. St Helens.