Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Holidays For The Shelter Pets, Lets Get Real




I rescued a human today. Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels. I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid. As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage. I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them. As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life. She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me. I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her. Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well. Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her safe. I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes. It was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At least I could save one. I rescued a human today.

Mastiff Dad, I wanted to thank you for reminding us all, there are decent people who do at least look at the shelters. I found the promotional picture Oreo had done of Sam that she gave you that day at the park. Oreo loved introducing people and pets and the world is a sadder place becase she quit. The last anybody heard, a former volunteer said was Sam remained in foster forever. As I type this, on the AC side there are two beautiful male GSD's, very dark pigment which is a sign of good health usually, it would be nice if a rescue group could take them before they go through multiple placements. You often see the dogs on Craigs list and then at the shelter. so very sad. Of course frequently dogs look fine in the kennel but when you get them out they are sick. There was a beautiful male GSD back in Sam's time that was full of cancer, the lady was walking him up and down the hall crying when she brought him back. Who would dump a sick dog at a shelter? Sam while animal aggressive was healthy and very trainable. You would have given her a fine home, look at the Mastiff boys.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a tear jerker! Our animals are often the most healing part of our lives. My husband comes home totally stressed and the next thing I know he is letting the dog soothe him. Sam looks gorgeous, but sometimes those pretty faces can hide problems. Some returns are adoptions that shouldn't have happened in the first place. You know the ones where everybody is to optimistic. But some returns do involve things that can only be found out by placing the animal. We tell our adopters that almost all herding dogs have strong prey instinct and could present a hazard to a smaller pet. Also right now there is a rumor about it is better to get same sex dogs. That is not true ! Even altered animals have a sense of gender and a set of behaviorial traits that work best with opposite sex buddies. The chance of a mortal fight is even higher between two girls. We strongly discourage such adoptions and if they are a strong breed we refuse to let the shelter dog go into a harmful situation. There have been successful placements with some of the little guys, but even the terrier's can do real damage. I have heard of Jackie's going to the end.
Oreo, can you explain why you feel the dogs you mentioned might not be placed in a permanent home?

Happy Camper said...

yes it is a real tear puller, a reader sent it to me. I did call about the two GSD's and there are some factors to be considered. They would need a strong GSD experienced home, with no other pets and the truth is, those are hard to find. I don't think they kennel well, like pitties, some breeds just don't.

HonestyHelps said...

Mom, thank you for acknowledging the herding instinct. Now if we can get people to acknowledge the instinct of the pitbulls, we might get somewhere.

Yes, I am sitting here in tears too. It really hit home with me. I've always felt my pets selected me, not the other way around.

And I agree about the same genders fighting, especially the females. I had two females, both altered, to get into a death fight. I got hurt the worst trying to break them up. I sent one for adoption because they could no longer be together. They were buddies, close buddies, until that day.

And on another note, talking of owners surrendering the sick and old pets, my precious Oreo died Sunday. She was a 7 year old piggie when her owner surrendered her to the shelter. That's really old for a piggie. She had been kept on a wire bottom cage and her feet would burst open and bleed. About $500 later, she recovered and lived for another two years with me. I remember when she realized she was on a flat bottom cage and how happy she was running around. How can they do that to something they have had so long?

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving ! I did look at those two males and they are very attractive, I put in a call to your AC down there and they were very helpful. I will refer to them in our listing and see what we can do from King County. I have no rescues right now, which is good. The holidays are often to busy to dedicate the time a foster needs for rehab. If you can't make their life better don't take them. I wish more people did understand misdirected instincts, we would have fewer shelter animals thats for sure. Another group that has it rough are the hunting dogs. High energy and maintainence, people want them like a fireplace decor. Then come 5 or 6 months they are at the shelter.
I've had a request for invites from people who know I still come to Oreo's, are you vetting new readers or did you say something about a limit ?

Anonymous said...

A wonderful Thanksgiving to all the great people and pets at Oreo's. We are staying home, the holidays are best there. I agree that pets tear down walls and build love, I also agree that when practicle a shelter pet should be consider, but we can't brow beat people into taking something they won't keep. Home for the holidays sounds good when read, but I would like to see the data 6 months out. Maybe something more realistic, like donate volunteer time to train and socialize. Not more impulse adoptions. Our guys are more at ease with having their yard back and I am glad we dodged the shelter bullet.

Anonymous said...

Aw man, I shouldn't have read this one....

Anonymous said...

I'm with the sarge, dirty pool Oreo. I miss volunteering and working with the animals hands on. But I am not going to be involved in anything organized until NHS gets their act together. Now that they " partner" with SPCA even though it is for publicity purposes I want nothing to do with them. I don't understand why Tom did this, Could be funding, but we didn't need the help with adoptions, ours were up. I think Home for the Holidays is a good promotion if the pets are not gifts and if the same care is given to screen the adopter. But if you weed out impulse adoptions NHS wouldn't have anything, the whole place is based on the blue light special.

Happy Camper said...

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone !! Sgt Oreo, says gottcha Sgt. Doggett. We are emotional here and darn proud of it ! Our dinner is ready for the final touchs and of course our favored guests are those unexpected, who cherish our company enough to brave the pooches. My Mom used to say " If the heart be big enough, so is the table" Our table is laden. I wish there were a way to bring home an animal for the day and not feel terrible when you had to take it back. NHS had a supid plan for a " hiking Buddy" Like most of the stuff they come up with; it was a first generation thought. However it did follow a sentiment that I have longed for. If we could get a trusted group of people who would take the SAME pet out twice a week for a day trip. Not the dog park, a controlled environment where the animal could learn some social skills. Car riding, being handled, gentle continued exposure to life. You can't take a shelter dog of unknown personality and let him run where other dogs are off leash in a hiking situation, but you can stretch their world..Shall we work on that ? The key is the ability to return the animal at the end of the day, not a foster, a day trip....

Anonymous said...

Home from seeing family, I had a nice holiday . I needed to be home for Thanksgiving, Even the nicest family is tiring after a few days away from your own bed. I drove so Pixie went along, we won't do that again. I got the full biting show that Steve had mentioned. A not so friendly reminder that older dogs do have problems and one needs to stay abreast of them. You can't muzzle a Peke, so she spent a fair amount of time crated. It is a good idea to believe the person giving you the dog.
Back at home she is confident and relaxed, but no more trips for her.
Butters Mom is right,same sex dogs are not good. I would not have 2 same sex mastiffs even altered and leave them alone. That is a strong breed. If Steve is reading this, I am not unhappy with Pixie, just letting you know you were right to not put her in a shelter, because she is not playing when she bites. I have continued to follow the blog on my travels and have yet to see an outcome for the public records request. The one they ordered on AC or the one Oreo is requesting. I suppose it will take some time for them to negotiate among the government layer to come to an agreement. Stick to your guns. This is very silly and bad for all the animals involved. I will be in Reno the 29th and would like to meet at the little park at about 11:30 in the morning if that would work for you. Happy Thanksgiving, and God Bless

Compassion First said...

Thanks for the constant same sex reminders. We went to Pet network to see a dog that looked like a match for Riley,. We found a sweet lab/mix but it was a boy. I am sure as it matured there would have been problems. I don't want to have the new dog a couple of years and have to give one of them up. Isn't there one of us dealing with two male pit bulls ? I remember it was a lady and she had to keep them apart after they grew up. My wife warned me about the story, I still got moist. That is how they look at you when you walk the corridors. Is Butters Mom shelter in driving sistance of Reno ? We consider 5 hours a fair drive, we got Riley in Sacramento. Thanks and have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

My favorite Pet Network is going to be doing a home for the holiday theme as well. It must be part of the fabric of outsourceing animals. The director up there is a great believer in it; and maintains statistics back her up.
I was interested in the day ride idea mentioned somewhere on here, just take them out for a short walk and socialize them. Do that a couple of times a week and give them something to look forward to. This will be our Kitty Lady's first Christmas, so I guess I should glue the balls on the tree.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Sgt. Doggett has left a new comment on your post "Holidays For The Shelter Pets, Lets Get Real":

To Volunteer No More,

Tom was installed as the Exe. Dir., without any previous experience running a shelter, by Steve Ricker (probably with financial backing from Link Piazzo). Steve Ricker is the former long-term fundraiser for NHS prior to his wife, Susan Asher, quitting .

Steve was fired by the NHS BOD (before Susan left).. That and the fact that he really never raised that much money. It was Susan who brought in the money, not him.

At any rate, Steve and Tom Jacobs were co-owners of RJ Productions who sold their expertise doing animal shelter telethons to shelters around the country. Steve and Tom (and Nadine) have been close friends for ages. The company went defunct, again..

Steve was for a couple years the Exe. Dir. at PetNetwork. The BOD there stated that if they had known about his problems, they would not have hired him. Why he left PetNetwork, I don't know.

Link Piazzo was a huge financial backer of NHS and Steve still has pull with the BOD since most of them are personal friends of his.

It is no surprise that Tom is working hand-in-hand with NHS considering it is really Steve who runs all this silently behind the scenes. Steve's goal is to get control of NHS again. If any one person can end BB hold on NHS, it is Steve. He is a long-term planner and master manipulator. When the time is right for his gain, he will strike.

Happy Camper said...

Hello Sgt. Doggett,
I loved your post and then after I put it up remembered nothing is bullet proof, so I am sure if NHS really wanted to hack in here they could. I removed only the parts that could be considered libelous for me, since I am the one doing the posting ha ha!! I am sure your statements are more than accurate, but err on the side of caution..... or paranoia...

Anonymous said...

Happy Camper,

I completely understand.

It is your choice what information you choose to allow on your blog.

You are probably right that it may be "too much information" that doesn't need to be desemminated at this point.

Sorry everyone.

Anonymous said...

Now things make sense; there is a buddy system going on somewhere. I can only say I felt uncomfortable taking animals from NHS. It is already a " no kill" so why are/were we taking animals from them while animals were left at AC. That is the point where I got out of it. All we are doing is swapping inventory.
Sorry I didn't get to read the post from Sgt. Doggett before Sgt.Oreo did her thing. I think I can fill in the blanks. I have gone to great lengths to stay open minded, but something is not right here.

Anonymous said...

Can we revisit how many dogs are turned away from NHS ? Could they be trying to avoid that by shipping the overflow elsewhere. If there is a concensus for keeping the numbers down by shifting the load from shelter to shelter, that is a slippery slope. Mr. Ricker is a primary player in this apparently, is he a no kill fan or not?

Anonymous said...

I must say my trip to Reno was informative as well as worthwhile. There are far more animals than I like to see in the shelter. The AC portion was clean and fairly quiet, the other side was mayhem. I observed several families looking for a pet, the staff at NHS was not very helpful and the other side was unable to allow viewing and bonding with an animal that was free for adoption unless some paperwork was filed. This is not a system that benefits the animals. All the busy little women running about reminded me of a nunnery. Nobody did anything, they just somehow managed to look busy without accomplishing anything. This is not a very good use of resources.