
Oreo started this blog to defend the animals, that is still her focus. Only now, am I seeing what a complex issue it is.
The newspaper blogger attacked our AC manager with a vengeance, that is part of their" playbook"; to demonize those who impede the will of the fanatics. The modus operandi of the invading force. It isn't new; in WWII we called them "jerry's" or Nips, "Krauts" even Zipperheads, my Dad's personal favorite ( I still don't get it. ) In Nam' we had "Gooks" and Slopes and LBFM's, Cong'.. I am not sure what they called us, but I bet it wasn't Americans... So first comes the break down of respect for the opposition. This allows for clearing the decks with no guilt. The mindless masses have always been swayed by this type of rhetoric. The most idealistic man in the history of the world was Hitler. He absolutely believed he was right, which allowed him to convince others. The system by which we assign value is very intricate. One could find a stray blue rock and through a series of advertisements, make a damn good living. Why does a purebred have more financial value than a mutt? Because Man assigned the value, and he controls the product. Shelters are commodities, how they are used is a profit motive for some, and a safety, health, & compassion issue for others. Here at Oreo's we are the safety compassion folks. I had a dear friend warn me that Wino was a tough target, even she concedes his plan is flawed, but thinks he is sincere. I shut up, I try not to change peoples minds when they will see soon enough for themselves. The point is, I am not targeting the man, I am targeting the concept. It has consistently failed and he has skipped town; I've had a dryer load of laundry last longer that he does, he keeps moving, tainting, & always spinning. My goal is to keep educating. AC directers are not monsters and the Humane organizations that have tried his way and failed are not ogre's. He has spun so far from what he started out as, and that was a poor footprint to begin with.
We start our day with a morning prayer here, and end with a prayer of thanks. We get up early and walk into the canyon, letting the earth enfold us, it is from the earth we draw our strength. We are part of something bigger and we are responsible for stewardship of the Earth and all of her creatures. Not saving every animal, but showing compassion for every animal. That is stewardship; Oreo says.
Pictured is an official animal control volunteer, note the hat to cover the horns. Used with permission.

19 comments:
It's such a shame that beautiful, insightful writing such as this can no longer be shared with the world. Now it is shared only with those you trust and we are already on board with you.
I agree that we all are working for "no kill", a noble effort. But we have to make the world understand there is a difference between "no kill" and "No Kill", a personal agenda. I truly feel now that the Whino has been sent to destroy rather than build. When you put his concepts in terms of breeding, then they make more sense. No new laws, do away with the old ones, oppose mandatory spay/neuter, support cruelty to cats in the form of TR and Abandon don't help animals. "No Kill" is hung up in the past and the present, it doesn't address the future. Well, it's the future that I am worried about. We can't save all of them now but we can sure try to save all of them in the future.
"No Kill" will win if we continue to let the creator drive us underground.
I should be writing on my own blog, but wanted to respond to Oreo's latest comment. How nice it would nice be if we could look at each other and see the person, not the position. Your manager looks like a pleasant woman, and yet I am sure that is not how Mr. Winograd sees her at all. I am equally certain that many wonderful people lost their jobs at NHS too. I know in SF it was a bloodbath of broken careers. Same at Tompkins. I also know from emails with Oreo there was some very good staff that is no longer at NHS. That is the pattern of this movement. A scorched earth policy, so even when they leave there is little to rebuild on. Is expetcop coming or are all the invites not out yet ?
In light of the disaster up here I have decided against getting the California GSD's.
The whole thing with KCAS and the exposed.org crap is unreal. The villifying of enemies is the tool of the weak. And I am sick to my stomach with what is happening to our community. The decent people run out and the slander and libel on the expose blog. why doesn't the county sue them ? Sue every damn name on thant blog.Now I am hot, way hot !
You know I think our takeover was quieter, although there were rumblings on the newspaper blog, but they were in before we knew it. The sop's and the lease should have protected us but they were ignored from the gate, there has been no attempt to honor any agreement they signed up for. I am disgusted.
Happy Camper, you have illustrated a point I have tried to make time and again. Yes, they are there before we know it and why is that? We are not active on the political front enough. I hear time and time again from the adoption groups who comprise the humane community, that they don't have time. I say they don't have the time to not have time. Do they want to always chase dogs down the streets? They have time for that?
The humane community only seems to be out there when it is complaining. Rarely do we (and I say we but truly I don't include myself) take the time to praise our officials or animal control at public forum. Rarely do we volunteer to serve on Ad Hoc committees or be appointed to commissions (exception is Oreo). When was the last time you wrote a note to your elected official? I do strongly believe in establishing a relationship BEFORE the shit hits the fan, before the opposition has a chance to. I do hope we have learned this lesson, although the hard way. So far, we have been re-active and now we need to be pro-active. Attend those Republican dinner parties and wear your Pet Welfare Advocate badge proudly and have a good time. And a tip to keep in mind that e-mail records to officials are subject to public records requests, so be credible and include your backup research materials.
I checked out the kcaccexposed blog, what a bunch of stupid **** Like those before me, I hope with all my heart that Catmom and the county sue the jerk back into California where all the other fruits grow. The whole thing with suing King county is so about getting the county to settle. Winograd knows it is bogus, but he needs the money. I don't see any real income out there for him. I saw on the internet that the book redemption was subsidized by Almaden books. So he is not rolling in money. At this point in my life I am able to follow my passion and that has been animals. I enjoy where I volunteer, we don't talk about Winograd there. But there is interaction with his appointee. I am sorry but that is how I think of them. Extremely sad, but I am going to leave SPCA just because I don't want to be associated with any no kill ever again, even a very nice clean place like the SPCA. I will find a new handle, maybe I should print out that blog and hand it in with my resignation.
Volunteer, if the SPCA where you volunteer is not engaging in the deceit of "No Kill", then why leave? There's nothing wrong with those who are no kill and admit they turn away animals. Check out the East Bay SPCA for their statement of no kill and if yours sounds the same, then stay. Only if they engage in deceiving the public do I stand against them. If you do decide to leave, then I support you in your decision because it has merit. Good luck.
Let me guess volunteer,
Your agency pulls from NHS ?I do understand the guilt by association thing, why don't you consider volunteering at AC ? Just a thought.
Thank you for the invite, I do plan on hanging out here. As Greta announced, she will be taking Pixie next Saturday. I would like to thank Oreo for her participation, and let you know there is a new advocate in town. Once you go to Longley and see the cats stacked everywhere and the dogs in the runs it is easy to get discouraged. It is overwhelming, and needs to be monitored. But we all know that. I don't post oftern but keeping up on animal affairs is a regular part of my day. If Oreo is going for awareness she is creating it. NIce work girl.
Have to disagree with you, Happy Camper. Even with the "association", that just means the animals need to get outta there even more. From what you guys say, all the more reason even if it makes them (NHS) look good. I felt from Volunteer's comments that he/she likes the SPCA. If I am wrong, please tell me.
I can't volunteer at one shelter and critize another. It causes a big friction for the shelter you work for. Like Oreo, my intent was to help the animals, I think the animals at NHS need help the most right now. I am going to take a page from Catmom, and keep it low and keep it clean as Wayne Pacelle says. Thanks for linking to Greta.
My KOMO feed just sent in the latest on the councils urge to dump the problem. What can you do if the whole council is off their rocker ? Have they learned nothing from other failures and why do they think their case is different. Is SHS going to utilize the same buildings they are not criticizing? Is Winograd going to build a huge building and then not be able to mainain it. Shades of Tompkins. I and my Mother will be grateful to have Greta taking Pixie. The next unnatural disastor is King County.
I understand, Volunteer and commend you on your ethics.
The whole No Kill concept is off base, the shelter here is at almost double what it is designed to hold. I have been watching LA unfold, it is not a good thing to see. I can see that happening in Reno. Who is the governing body for NHS ? Is it the Board or the directer ? At what point will the health department step in and do something. The guy in LA seems as crazy as this guy, and now, even he has to see it is failing he still spins.
Shelters should be about community health and welfare with regards to humane care of all animals. Not big box stores for helpless animals.
I read all the people here and I think, where are we when this slime ball project, slithers under the door...... Naviete' in the highest order. I thought it was bad, but everybody was doing the Emperor wardrobe routine, so I got shouted down. I wish I had fought harder, but screaming into the wind did bring some help.
Mastiff Dad, I am from LA area and have friends there. It is even worse than you have read about. I did my research on Boks when he was being considered for LA and found it disturbing. The humane community was yelling for him to be hired. But when I tried to pass along this info, I was condemned. You just can't tell these people anything, they can't do their own research, all they can hear is that deceitful term "no kill". All they want to do is believe and relieve the guilt. It is so easy to say all is well with the world when "No Kill" is around. The Whino has done such an injustice telling the public the problem is not because of what they do or don't do. Such an injustice and so disrespectful to tell shelter animals there is a home for them but us stupid humans don't know how to find it.
It is so easy to just accept all is well because it is "No Kill" and then get a good night's sleep. It is what people want to hear. It's hard to fight that with reason and common sense. The truth can hurt much more than a lie. Such is the case here. Put in that context, you can then understand somewhat why people chose to follow "No Kill". Society today sucks, what can I say.
the Seattle Times had an article saying Ron Sims was working on a contract with SHS. Isn't that exactly the type of trapy Washoe county fell into?
That will feed the institionalized hoarding and fill up the building so quickly. Where will they put the strays ? They are blasting the Kent shelter, but think they can do a better job of animal care in the same place ! Mr. Winograd just wants a new building, so far he is right on schedule for his greedy ways. New buildings are nice, but come on, we can't afford a new building right now, and how can that non profit do a better job when they have no stray experience.
KCSharon, they want to do business with an agency that was making matters worse by importing dogs. This agency took homes away from shelter dogs. This agency didn't support it's own local shelter when it did this. What a crock!!! What is the problem there? Have they put a dose of stupidity in the water?
Yes, it is stupid water ! I would hope that people would see the truth about this goal, but it doesn't seem like it will happen in my lifetime.
We need animal control. Somebody has to be the parent. the rescues want to take over the world of care with out the responsiblility. One big adoption agency, that is all they offer. Having a building I have some understanding of the facts of life. There has to be accountibily to the people who give to you. Keeping animals forever in the false hope that they will find a cure in a cage is not kind. Letting somebody's child get mauled is not kind. We have very limited funding, we have to be careful in what we try to do. Nice post Oreo.
Post a Comment