Pet Network in Incline Village Nevada has a new leader, and boy you should hear the old guard. It is always hard when a new person comes on board, things get different; but in this case I think it is a big step in the right direction.Pet Network is a rescue group complete with shelter, that in itself speaks well of the forethought & planning. It has also been under attack by the local blogger groupies. It is easy for rescues with no overhead to sit back and second guess those that are dealing with physical buildings and ( guess what ?) state laws. This agency has enjoyed a good reputation with responsible people for a long time. The new leader, Becky Goodman, comes with experience as a Maddie's Fund project manager, and looking over her last place of employment offers a good impression of her capabilites.
The plan to auction a purebred puppy at a fundraiser was almost bigger than the Angoura fire last year in the minds of the radicals. Now, I am not sure Oreo and I would approve of a puppy auction, but I don't see a big difference between that and the off site adoptions held so many other places. We're actually a little sad that it got changed to a sale, because this rescue is far to respected to defer to the whims of the bloggers. Anonymous commenters are not mainstream, and are fighting for dollars like everybody else, just slightly under the quality offered by Pet Network.
The biggest war cry I read, and there were many; was "what kind of an example was this" I didn't know it's (Pet Network ) divine purpose was to set an example. it's purpose as I understand it is to provide help for the animals, and $6,000.00 is helpful. This lady will never appeal to this group, and Oreo hopes she doesn't waste valuable time trying.
Our friends who live up there indicate the shelter has lost a little ground in it's physical condition. Perhaps the puppy sale can go towards providing a better shelter for less fortunate critters.
We are not a 5013c, we don't take a tax break, if we foster a puppy we give it away to a carefully selected home, after we have paid the vet bills and done the neutering. Oreo doesn't have any motive other that to be of service. Usually a grateful adopter will want to do " something" and we request they help the injured animal fund at Washoe County Regional Animal Services or donate to a charity of their choice. True charity doesn't come with strings. Oreo donates to a Pit rescue in Vegas, under cover of anonymity, through a friend who lives there; and tells us of their good work and high use of resources. A very gracious reader reminded me that Steve Ricker is still acting as a consultant to Pet Network; I take that as a good thing. Sorry for missing it earlier.
Back to Ms. Goodman........
We thank you for selecting our community, and as you can see.......
Burley Dog is wearing his Tux.
Welcome Aboard Becky!!

8 comments:
Long time no write. That's where Steve Ricker was Director. Where did he go ?
They did some good things for a small outfit. I read all the crap about the puppy auction, that is still going on. It is not any worse than 50% off black dogs on MLK weekend. Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of the tasteless campaigns are gone? We can only hope. The stat's are showing lower yet when you are out there the amount of dogs seems the same, so that is some slip of the pen with how they load the data. I believe we need all the help we can get.
Steve Ricker was the Exe Director. He is now a "consultant" to the shelter.
Thank you expetcop, and welcome to Oreo's blog.
I knew Steve was a consultant and appreciated his efforts at NHS; he is indeed an asset to be mentioned. I am sorry I left him off and thank you for bringing it to my attention, I will add it to the Original Post.
Thanks
Oreo
And, Music Man, how about the one called "seniors for Seniors" referring to placing senior pets with senior citizens? Senior pets who need more medical attention, special food, etc. are given to the ones who can least afford a pet, seniors on a limited income. And usually these programs play to the seniors who have a little less than a sound mind and who want some company. Not that I don't want seniors to have pets, just don't give them the ones who can cost them a lot of money for maintanence. Also the "twofurone" sales like they are selling shoes. What if you get them home and they don't like each other. Peanut Butter and Jelly is a sandwich not names for two kittens so they can be adopted together per Michael Arms. Are we selling shoes or trying to find good homes for the animals? P.
To Music man and Anonymous, ( may we call you Anon 1 ? ) great insight. Oreo and I dislike all the gimmicks, . People who truly want a pet will go where the pet is. They don't sit on their duff, and wait for it to be delivered like a Domino's Pizza. Anything geared to " spontaneous adoptions" is not going to end well. We have a lady who posts on here who adopted a pair, and she has overcome some mighty hurdles. she has worked with a trainer and still has one dog that will never be a social dog. I started to say their names, but that is her business, and she has them all over the blog. cute names, but they fight like crazy. Why would any counselor allow 2 male pits in the same home because they were
" brothers" insane.
Back to the Auction / Sale of the puppy by the rescue Pet Network. That was not a spontaneous event, it was a fund raising event. People knew when they left their homes that day they were going to come home with a dog, if they were lucky. We went to the shelter several times looking for a dog, lots of times, each time we pulled out of our drive we were prepared to become dog owners should the match for us appear. We did not end up with a pound puppy, but had we found one, we were prepared. The people who made an offer on the spaniel went to the event that evening with full intent to get a puppy. So I never did get the fuss. The new owners could give the money to a pet shop or a rescue group. I am glad the puppy was bought by people who wanted it enough to cough up the milkbones, get the breed of their choice, and help a good cause. i realize most rescues and some non profits do off site, It's just not acceptable to me.
If I may touch on yet another good point you made. As I age, I wonder how I will care for my 3 dogs, at 190, 130 & and the little one at 120; they are a lot to care for. We are blessed with a wonderful groomer who keeps them in good physical shape, no mats to creat sore spots, ears cleaned & toenails clipped. I have gone to the same vet for 28 years and as he brings in newer younger staff I know that issues will be covered in the same caring way by the new Doc's as the old one retire. But the idea of putting special needs dogs with special needs people is just irresponsible. Anon 1, if you are new to the blog I invite to read " Good News For Oreo, We Think " she is laying under the Sequioa in the lead pic.
How did you build a shelter ? I find that very dedicated. Many rescues do good work, but the building says you plan on being around for a while and I like that. It looks like you have more cats than dogs, or do you even have dogs ? Do you pull from private or public shelters ? Both have their good points, however with the strange set up locally we ended up having to go to Sac to get a friend for Lucy.
I'm here, and the dogs are Digger and Dozer; and it was like Peanut Butter and Jelly. They were packaged as a pair and I fell for it. I went to the other blog, now they are pushing for knee surgery for 3 dogs and they need money and foster homes for 2 month's. I guess we spoke to soon about the dumb campaigns stopping. The dogs have been there a year, so this is clearly a money maker. The nerve to complain about how someone else raises money. Mom's dog had the crutiate surgery and it is a long drawn out mess and will literally require round the clock personal attention, and no other dogs to disturb it. She had to take off work, the dog couldn't stand up to go potty, or go up and down the short stairs to her patio. Greedy devils ! Oreo sometimes your conduct code makes it damn hard to post.
I hope the shelter takes off. We have been out of area for a while and I am just catching up on the news. I too welcome the new Director and am saddened to see the other blog is up to its usual tearing down. Considering all the stupid promotions NHS has put on, they have their nerve to criticize anyone.
I also checked on Winograds and he has even more bs than usual. Do any of these idiots ever volunteer or work in a shelter? As Oreo would say REALLY ?
We had a great vacation and I did stay in touch with most people via email. I will finish reading the blog and put in my opinion later.
Butter's says Woof Woof
Post a Comment