We read quite a few blogs here at Oreo's place and the truth is; I can see why some get a bad reputation. We work hard to avoid the cheap shot. It is easy to let controversy be the defining factor, but I have noticed classy blogs get plenty of hits without the hoopla. So, why would anyone stoop to slander ?The final tone of it falls squarely on the Blog moderator, that is who sets the tone and the rules of engagement. Contrary to what some would have you believe , we are not victims of " nasty commenters". Reading the local dog blog is a lesson in what we don't want to be. It is small minded, cliqueish, and often runs contrary to the advice of professionals.
It claims to be
"okay "as it is just the bloggers opinion, but often the opinion takes the form of pretending to be news. When that runs under the banner of a newspaper it can give a credence that is not deserved.
We have a strong opinion here, no question of that. But we never go into a mob mentality, and the laws of inflamatory rhetoric apply to blogs. When a blogger incites such rancor as to create the potential for violence, or threaten the peace of mind or personal safety of those who disagree with their views, there is a consequence.
All blogs have an agenda, Oreo has one, and all blogs tend to gather a certain type of reader, but the responsibility for ethics falls on the moderator. End of story...... Like minded people have always found one another, but the freedom to say everything you may think, is not inclusive of libel and slander. Our area needs all animal groups to grow up and play nice with their little friends. People read the freak shows, but they don't help animals , & some blogs are a freak show, and nothing more. Like when a comedian says the F word and people laugh, but underneath they are a little uncomfortable. Nobody likes to wallow in mud but the piggies, and as long as they keep the dirt to themselves, few people care. So feel safe in posting here, this was designed as a place for intelligent people in the shelter industry to open up, present ideas and concerns, but we have drawn a large lay following too, and we cherish that.
Pictured is Libby, a wonderful little Chi'
My friend lost her after a surgery last year, but she is still in our hearts.

8 comments:
I read the online newpaper blog for the event updates. The rest of the stuff is pretty tacky, everybody is trying to hustle money from someone else. They are fighting with each other most of the time, or ripping someone a new you know what ! If they would put that energy into helping the animals it would be something different. I just stay on the sites where there is something worth reading. I don't agree with mandated spay programs, but that person who posted on here made a good case for her city. we can agree to disagree.
I was going to send money to paypal for the rescue that is always showing some sad story. My husband had a fit. He went to the blog and some other poster had sent money and they were all thanking each other. After going back on several stories Chuck said almost every story had a picture with a financial request for health issues. I now blog here and San Antonio. The links on this site are good, so far nobody is begging. Digger and Dozer are fine, they miss the trainer, but so far so good on our own. She said call if we started to backslide, but she is moving on to help another dog. we are a pretty honest bunch and we let each other vent and nobody gets flamed. way to go Oreo !!
A blog should be a space to share and hammer things out. I do read the other blog for what is going on, but think it is like the National Inquirer, it appeals to the fringe element. Some of the press releases contain good information, but if I could find that on another blog I would not go to the rgj at all. Can Oreo get press releases ? That would be great, to have everything in one spot and not have to go through the moaning and groaning over there.
We did get a lab mix puppy for Lucy, we are suspicious that is has pit but hope it is young enough we can socialize it. I know that is a risk. All feedback will be appreciated. we named him Desi and he is 2 months old.
Sheldon,
I know you want to do the right thing. We got the undected pitbulls. One has turned out fine, the other one is our trouble maker. We have made accomodations for him. Dozer is never going to be a park dog, but he is our dog and we take responsiblilty for him. He is good company for Digger most of the time, but we never leave them home alone together, two males was not a good idea. Don't look for trouble this early in the game, enjoy your puppy and Lucy will be boss due to her being first dog, and a girl. Our boys are lab& pit mix and they have good dispositions with our family and friends. Start the dog park early though, if that is what you want him to know, and then if he gets attitude later, keep him home.
I feel we should all air our agendas at the front door, so that we understand each other better.
Having differing agendas does not mean we can't work together towards shared goals. Being nasty, slanderous, crude, etc will stop the process and only show how awful a fight can be between passionate folks.
I am seeing this, bright loud and clear, as my community faces some difficult animal services questions.
Thank you for reminding us all to play-nice.
I have voluteered at animal shelters most of my adult life. I no longer volunteer at NHS because they do not follow through on the training and a large number of the volunteers don't know what they are doing, thus compromise animal safety with stupid behavior. Management needs to spend more floor time with these people. Those of us that are trying to help get frustrated and leave. I am confident the director thinks she knows her way, but she is in over her head. How can we help when they wont listen to any suggestions without attacking you ?
Why not post the events on here ? I read this and the Washington one and find the general information useful. Events are not in the paper very much anymore, or they are buried somewhere inside. Now that we have an aussie we want to go to some agility trials and learn more about the breed, could you do a post on agility training Oreo? I check here almost everyday, and always like what I find, but we would appreciate the currents events if you could do that.
What is the injured dog fund ? I meant to ask that earlier, that is new since we left. I am assuming it has something to do with stays coming in hurt; it is government but for extra medical expenses ? Let us know, we just donated to the SPCA and will continue to do that. Could this save an animals life that would otherwise be put down ? I will email you, this is getting to long.
Post a Comment