
A while back I had done a post on a very sick animal, that ended up at the pound. In the process of trying to edit a simple misspelling I wiped out the post. Here is what remained in my draft folder, I did lose some comments and I do appologize.
Butters lives in Indiana, a long way from us and our little blog. I just received a comment / question on helping injured animals in shelter. As I prepared my response, it occurred to me that when I get a comment I don't know what zip code the author is writing from. So, rather than offer a specific URL, I recommend that you contact the shelter where the animal you want to help is located, directly.Even though we have several worthy charities in Northern Nevada, I kick a couple of bucks to a Pitbull rescue in Las Vegas. I just know of their work, and it keeps me from feeling conflicted in my dealings with our local shelters. I would remind the reader that most municipal facilities have a limited fund for the extra care some clients might require. When I called about the" lumpy, bumpy" dog I mentioned in an earlier post, the owner had been contacted and the situation is being taken care of. For non profits I use the Charity Navigator or Guide Star to make sure my small donation is put to the highest use. Rescue groups are often in need of help, but they are difficult to rate, so trust your local knowledge and perhaps your vet for decisions on where and when to donate.I defer to the decisions of staff since they are on the frontlines, and know the details of an animals condition that I may not see on a website, by putting the gift into a open fund they can use it for the animals they feel would benefit most
There is a misconception that governments have an unlimited budget for treating an injured animal, that is false. In most Municipalites there is a very small privately funded " pot" when it is gone, there is no more unless people donate. Also the animals in a non profit do not have a guarantee , funding is funding, and when the non profit keeps taking animals without any allowance for medical costs, there will be an ugly surprise.

3 comments:
Just got back from my vet's office, Some man in the parking lot was trying to call NHS to get directions to drop off his dog,and got no answer. Not surprising, they must have a red phone they use only for donations. His dog had tumors he couldn't afford to get removed so he was taking it there so they could treat it. How sad, they will adopt it out with the tumors and probably no warning. I gave him directions and shut up. What is there to say ? There are no super funds for everyday illness, no big banner saying " buy one sick dog, get one sick dog free" I can still see the kids hugging the dog in the back seat, it's burned into my memory forever. I swear to God, if I could have laid my hands on the $1,000 bucks that every surgery seems to start with, I would have marched in there and paid for the dog. Like that poor Dad, I feel helpless.
I read an article about funds that help strays that are hurt,does anybody know where to donate. I give to the SPCA, I will never give to NHS again after they ran off that volunteer, I saw that on another blog; and thought that was trashy. I am glad I found this place, I used to go the paper blog all the time, but it got so negative and they flamed people they didn't like. It became like a tabloid only worse. Please add more links as you find them I visit every morning.
To Candy.
I think you would really enjoy the Indianapolis Star Topix forum, civilized. It is under something called "Shelter says no to strays." Lively but not flaming, they stay on topic. I do have a couple of links somewhere in here but you can find them when you wish.
Post a Comment