
The flu bug has hit our keyboard operator, so we are trying to get back on track. Shelter searches haven't turned up a dog suitable for our friend, if you know of a 4 / 5 year old female Aussie please put up a post; she is checking the blog. It must be a girl since the visiting dogs are all male. Gathering around a picnic table with your adult child, grandkids and a pair of Aussies to romp is geriatric heaven. There are many changes at our local intake shelter, we have a new dog manager and his evaluations bring a new hope to our community. some of the dogs had been there so long we felt sorry for them. It is sad to know they are gone, but a relief to know many of them are out of the pain and lonliness. http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/02/17/18479756.php?show_comments=1#18479967
The link goes to a very informed blog, most of the posters are versed in sheltering and really think about long term animal welfare. Think about someone who needs a lift, give them a call and plot something helpful for your community. From Oreo to all of you, thanks.
To those of you ( only 2 ) who didn't get posted, I agree with your feelings, bad things have been done, but this is not a place for anger, we all know the problem and name calling will not solve it. I don't want to edit anyones post, but attack posts just can't be here. the person you speak of as a "pillar" of our community doesn't want to play in the slime. There will be a post when the issues are resolved, but please stay focused on the animals.

2 comments:
Thank you for the great link, it is in the Bay Area ? I am glad word of this problem is getting out, we need to look at the long term effects of No Kill before leaping on the bandwagon. I don't believe there are more homes than pets, but if somehow there are, these homes may not want a pet. Lots of people lead very busy lives and are happy without animals. It would not work for me, but I have friends who commute from here to the Canadian border several times a month. They couldn't offer a home and it would be selfish for them to try. Does anybody know how many animals are being put down at NHS ? I hear it is a lot, but most of them had been there a long time and returned several times. I was looking at the Scottie they have, but when I checked the notes it said the dog attacked children so no kids under 16 to live or visit, and then gave special instructions because the dog is owner dominant. I grew up with Scotties and they are a fine breed, but a bad one is vicious. They are adopting out a dog with a temperment that is dangerous to the community at large. Cute dog though.
What is going on over there. I went out last week and the staff was stranger than ususal. I had the kids. We brought no treats this time, they asked me to not treat anymore. This has been a part of my week end visitation with my sons for over a year. I hoped it would teach them about commitment and caring for others. My wife and I agreeded to make the break up as humane as possible, so they didn't see a lot of ugliness, but they have lost some faith in the world. Mom used to volunteer there and so that is a part of the boys life. I noticed several other people are missing in action. There was an older Grandma type, wore long skirts, the boys looked forward to her every Saturday, she always had a baggie of peanut butter cookies for them. There were several young families that came on the week end, and now I don't see them. What is wrong ?
Post a Comment